Using Reference Data
You can use reference data in a solution in the following ways:
To use reference data to save Query output:
- Create a new Query script or use an existing Query script.
- Go to the Reference Data App and create reference data at the global level. Or, as an alternative, go to the User App and create reference data at the app level.
- Go to the Solutions page and create a reference data schema.
- In creating a schema, select the Create from Query option. As the basis of the schema, either use an existing Query script or create a new Query script.
- Publish the reference data schema, disabling the Use Excel File to Manage Reference Data option as you publish.
- Open the Query script in Studio.
Map the Query script with the reference data.
Note: When mapping a Query script with reference data, you can map it to the existing reference data solution or create a new reference data solution. If you opt to create a new solution, it will be published automatically and can be used directly in the Query script – from Studio. There is no need to browse to the Evolve site.
- Submit the script to Evolve and complete the review process.
- When the script is in production, open the script from Studio and run
it. After the data is returned from SAP, the data will be saved in the
reference data mapped to this Query solution.
Note: This reference data list (in which data from SAP is saved using Query) can be used in a Form solution using a Data Connection.
To manage reference data through a Form Solution using the Web Service control:
- Create the reference data list.
- Open a Form Solution in Solution Designer.
- Create a Data Connection using the reference data.
- On the Solution tab, open Data Connections and right click on the data connection you created in Step 3.
- Click Create Field Mapping.
- Enter the details below and then click Next.
- Group Name
- Web Service Name
Note: Two operations are available for reference data: Get and Save. Individual Web Services need to be created for these operations, and you can use the same fields to create mapping for both operations.
Provide the field mappings.
Note: If you do not need mapping for a specific field or fields, select and then delete them.
- The field mappings will create the Form schema. Drag and drop these fields onto the Form to establish the fields.
- Add Web Service Control and configure it to run the Web Service.
Deploy the solution. It can now be used to manage the reference data.
Notes: Both types of reference data (published with and without Excel) can be used in a Form Solution.
Reference data list does not store null values. If you use IS NULL (raw filter) in the reference data, it will not return any records.
Reference Data can also be managed through an Excel file. This option allows you to apply any of the Standard Workflows or a Custom Workflow to the solution. To manage reference data through an Excel file:
- Create a reference data solution.
- When publishing the reference data, enable the Use Excel File to Manage Reference Data option.
- Select the Workflow – either Standard Workflows or Custom Workflow.
- Select the AutoRun Type and publish the reference data.
- If you selected Custom Workflow, add the Custom Workflow.
- Open the Studio Excel Add-in and open the reference data Excel file from My Templates.
- Add data to the file and submit it. Once the review process is completed, the data will be saved to the reference data list.
Reference Data can also be updated directly from the Evolve site. You cannot add a Workflow process to this type of reference data. You can go directly to the reference data solution and can update the reference data from there, as follows:
- Create a reference data solution.
- When publishing the reference data, disable the Use Excel File to Manage Reference Data option.
- Go to the Solution tab and open the reference data library to which solution was added.
- Select the reference data solution and click Edit Data at the top of the page.
- The solution will open and the data will be displayed in table format.
- In the Actions column, click Edit, make the required changes, and click Save.
- To remove a row, click Delete in the Actions column.
- To add a new row, click Add New at the top of the table.
- After you have made the required updates, click Save Data at the top of the table.
- You will receive a confirmation message noting that the reference data solution has been updated.